Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hairy Muffin

My little boy's hair has a very fine texture, but it grows quickly.

When he was about 7 months old, I noticed that it was creeping over his ears and winging out on either side of his head. When I pointed this out to my husband, Doo replied, "Oh, it's fine. We don't need to worry about it yet." I considered this a legitimate response, and finally agreed; he's a baby, not a PFC.


(See those wisps of hair over the ears? At the time, it was very noticeable. Really.)

Imagine my surprise when, a few weeks later, I came home from work to find my little baby's hair much shorter along the sides! My husband had taken his clipper set and gone to work. It actually looked rather cute.
But I voiced my primary "first-time mommy" concern: Did you save a lock of hair?
Doo shook his head, No; I mainly just trimmed the sides. There weren't any strands long enough to save.



I was a little disappointed, but happy to hear that the child still had some "original hair" up top, hanging down over his brow. When we get around to cutting those, I thought, I'll save a nice little bunch.

About 3 months later, the day came. My husband announced his intention to give our son another haircut, and I promptly trimmed a bit of the hair that was now hanging over his eyebrows. I stowed it safely in a plastic sandwich bag to deal with later. For the time being, it got tossed on the kitchen counter.

I forgot about it.

Until the next day.

Doo called from work. He does this often; sometimes he has a question, sometimes he needs me to tell me something or have me go pick something up, and sometimes he just phones to see how we're doing. This call was of the third category, a casual check-in.

So I reciprocated, So, how is everything there?

Oh, it's okay, he replied. Except I couldn't eat that strawberry muffin you put in my lunch today.

Oh, yeah? Why's that? I asked.

It was full of hair! I think you put the muffin in Tigger's hair bag.

WHAT??!! Oh, gross.

Neither of us could stop laughing.

Yeah, I'm sorry. I had to throw it out.

Hey, that's okay.

A few months later, we cut my son's hair for the third time. With the electric clippers, there wasn't enough length to save any.

I'm still not sure if I'll bother to save a lock of Tiernan's hair from his fourth haircut.

Eh.

No comments: