Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Favorites (in color)

One of my very good friends, Puddles (nickname has been used to protect identity), started giggling merrily when I told her that I liked the next song on the CD.
me: What?
Puddles: Is this one of your "favorites?"
She then proceeded to remind me of several other "favorites" I had informed her of along our exciting roadtrip from West Virginia to Ontario. She even tried to imitate me in a very excited (and I might add, exceedingly high-pitched) tone, "Oooh! That's one of my favorites!"
Puddles: Ya gah a lah a favorites, you know? What's your favorite color? Come on, please just tell me what your favorite color is.
me: Purple.
Puddles: (with a satisfied sigh of nostalgia) Some things never change.

I must confess, I never picked the color purple intentionally. I don't believe in any of that psycho-babble nonsense, either, that it's some sort of temperament indication. It's just the color that, after many previous short-lived preferences of color, I finally settled on.

Upon reflection, I can use this permanent attraction to the hue as a reminder of something higher, something more profound than a physical attribute spanning many forms.

Consider one of the most beautiful relationships in the universe: the union between the Sacred Heart of Our Lord and the Immaculate Heart of His mother. The Divine Word, the Son who created His own mother, then allowed Himself to be hidden under her humble mantle, even inside her womb. Shedding His precious blood for each and every one of His creatures, yet only she could understand--with the love of a mother for her son, and the love of the very First Communicant for her God--the suffering and its saving purpose. What a beautiful meditation.

What a beautiful way to use purple, as a mingling of the sacrificial blood of the Lamb on the cross, and the blue mantle of His loving mother. Because in the midst of His suffering, while redeeming the world from sin, He gives us His mother to be ours as well. And when we look to Our Blessed Mother, she guides our gaze with hers back up to the cross where He demonstrates His infinite love.

It's one of my favorite meditations.

No comments: