Saturday, July 16, 2005

Gratitude

I have learned many things in the past three weeks on my clinical rotation--not only book knowledge, but also clinical truths. The clinical realizations that I have had are perhaps more powerfully remembered than the techniques I've practiced.

One thing that has struck me is a sense of gratitude. Being around many people everyday who, for one reason or another, are not able to make their bodies move like me, has really affected my perspective.

I take so much for granted--even the action of crawling out the side of the parallel bars in the PT gym to get on the other side of my patient, while he stands there, holding on for safety, trying with all of his concentration to hold the position I placed him in.

There are people that come to physical therapy who used to have very active lives. After dealing with many of them, I am now truly inspired by the ones who haven't fallen into depression. I wonder if I would be able to embrace my new, slower-paced life if I were to wake up one day, unable to move.

Because of prolonged immobility, people lose muscle strength, sometimes even muscle itself, and weight gain can occur. If they cannot move, they cannot get very much exercise.
Some people with heart conditions or respiratory problems cannot take more than 2 minutes of exercise at a time. Their bodies won't let them.
What are my excuses, again, for not getting up earlier to run?
I want to sleep??!!
I "can't stand" the humidity??!!

I think to myself,
"You already have a wonderful life, because you can move. Now, ...get a grip!!"

1 comment:

nutmeg said...

Amen, sis! I constantly think of you and the work you are doing, and think about how you are in the company of "saints in the making"! I was inspired by your story about that girl who used to be on a swim team, but had an accident and now is thrilled to do the little she can in the pool. Amazing. We get so caught up in our "everyday" lives, that we don't realize the miracles we experience daily (being able to move, walk, swim, etc) What gifts we have! Why don't we use them more???