Monday, July 04, 2005

Road Trip Music

After traveling between Washington, D.C. and Lexington, KY twice in two weeks, I feel like quite an expert on road trip music. Not only does it have to be up-beat, it has to be within the range of the driver's voice, particularly if the driver is traveling alone.
Country music is a great staple, Johnny Cash and Phil Vasser being among the top contenders, but as a metzo-soprano, a lot more fits into the "Ideal Road Trip Music" category. (Thanks, Mom, for the lovely Celtic CD, which gives me the opportunity for me to practice the higher end of my range!)
Sister Hazel is a nice break from the Country category, as can be Blues Traveler. It's better when you know the words, so you can sing along loudly:

You were the one who taught me what I don't need
And I thank you, I thank you for that.
You were the one who brought me to my senses
And I thank you, now just leave me alone...

Tony and I mentioned the possibility of him coming out to drive back to Connecticut with me at the end of 8 weeks, but I'm having second thoughts.

I'm kind of getting used to this "driving alone" thing. I'm kind of liking it. I might even prefer it, given a choice.

I don't know how much I would "sing out loud dramatically" with Tony as a passenger!

No comments: