Thursday, January 06, 2005

the power of DIA

Strange how, on Saturday, I will drive into one side of DIA and fly out of the other. When I touch land again, it will be in NY, and the exit signs will say "Leaving Kennedy Airport."

But someone next to me in line at the Security checkpoint in Denver will be landing in San Diego, or maybe even in Dublin! We will walk through almost all the same doors. He'll just walk a few feet further to another gate's waiting area. The type on his boarding pass will be arranged in such a way to allow him to fly out of the same building as I do, but in a different direction.

Even the people in my own waiting area will be scattered once we arrive at JFK. Each individual has his own reasons for flying at this time, on this day, to this destination. And we're all gathered together for a few hours in the great span of time to share a concourse train, a waiting area, an airplane.

Air travel itself is fascinating. But the power of airports--what goes on inside of them, on either side of them--amazes me even more.

1 comment:

Jay said...

You really have to trust in these people to get you to your destination!