Sunday, February 20, 2005

Seasonal changes

When I woke up this morning, I took great pleasure in pounding the snooze button of my alarm clock (something I gave up doing for Lent, but it's Sunday!). When I got out of bed a few hours later, noticed brightness trying to squeeze its way between the slats of my closed blinds. It almost bowled me over when I twisted the blinds open.
"Wow," I thought. "It looks like such a gorgeous day out. It's probably freezing, though, when you step outside."
But since I had left my phone in the car, and it needed to be charged, I decided to brave the weather, whatever it might be. I pulled on my sweatpants and a sweatshirt, slipped my feet into my untied sneakers, and jogged out to the parking lot.
To my astonishment, it truly was a beautiful day! After plugging my phone into its charger, I modified my outfit into running layers and decided to explore the neighborhood. I choose the phrase "explore the neighborhood" because, since I've lived in this apartment, I haven't been out running. Actually, the last time I did go for a run was ...oh, dear; nevermind. How embarrassing. Grad school is my obvious excuse, but the real reason is I'm a wimp when it comes to cold weather.
To my surprise and enjoyment, I discovered that not half a mile away from my house is a Sound-side boardwalk. That's right; I ran a few miles along Long Island Sound, greeting other people out for a leisurely stroll, out for a run, or out with their dogs--all in high spirits, grateful to greet a glorious Sunday morning. The Sound reflected the blue sky; the bright sun made the water glitter; the seagulls seemed as excited as the rest of us, calling, "Look! Look!" from overhead. I didn't feel as out of shape as I had anticipated. It must have been the spring-fever that seemed to infect everyone I ran past. The sun warmed us all through the brisk February air; I was down to my sleeveless T-shirt by the time I turned around to head back.
"Good morning," I nodded at an older woman, walking along in her Sunday clothes.
"Ooooh, look at you," she replied. "You really broke a sweat!"
I arrived back at the apartment refreshed, determined not to let the "winter storm warning" for tonight drag me down.

In fact, I think I might "take a day" tomorrow and go skiing in Vermont with Frank and Sharon. If there's going to be a winter storm, that's definitely where I'd like to be for it! And if by some stroke of Providence, school is cancelled tomorrow, I'll be even happier. (if not, though, I think it'll be worth the hassle, this time, of catching up!)

Who knew that Connecticut could imitate Colorado? Winter one day, spring the next, and blizzard conditions immediately following!

No comments: