Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Cutting Edge

We're studying rehabilitation of patients immediately after amputation....including prosthetic prescription and fitting, and gait training. Amazing stuff. I found this article which talks about the number of military needing amputation due to our current involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan. Interesting how the article downplays the statistical shift of fewer deaths and increased amputations. It likes to focus on the "increased amputations" part alone, as if the government is conspiring to chop up her servicemen and then hide them from the public. Hello!!! Why do you think there's a lower mortality rate, people? Instead of dying, injured people are surviving--but they still need specialized care from their injuries. Amputation is traumatic, yes, but it's not death!

Anyway, apparently the Dept. of VA is paying for research, and coming up with tons of new prosthetic techonology. It's an exciting time to be working in that area.

Instead of looking at outpatient clinics for my orthopedics rotation next summer, I'm starting to look at VA hospital affiliations. I think I'd learn so much more; I would not get bored! Unfortunately, even with my cross-country networking, the "best ones" are in places where I know no one!

For example:
"You would love the PT down at the VA hospital in Florida," Sal tells me. "He's been practicing for over 35 years, and he's seen everything. He participated in Doctors without Boundaries, ...." and then she proceeded to tell me about one of his particular experiences in the backcountry of Africa.

Florida, though. I don't know anyone in Florida.

(Don't worry, Mom. I'm meeting with Mike next week to discuss the Centennial State preference.)

Ahhh, at least I know already where I want to live....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dkerr is in Fla right now...point being, you never know where there'll be someone...esp. Dkerr...

:)

Sephora said...

No kidding. I wonder where Dkerr will be in 2 months, nevermind by next summer! ...Besides, I doubt the whole "living together" thing would work out in that situation.

:b

Anonymous said...

you never said you wanted someone to LIVE with, I assumed you just wanted social contact! Whoops! :)