Monday, November 27, 2006

The joys of packing...

I recall my freshman year at College, when my roommate and I came back to the dorm room from Thanksgiving break, dumped all of our stuff onto one twin bed, and slept together in the other twin bed until we left again for Christmas break. It was only after returning from Christmas break that we resumed our normal quarters.

This may seem extreme, but I feel the same now--that if I unpack my suitcase, I will only be packing it up again in a few weeks. So what's the point, really?

My room is the strange combination of utter disaster with belongings strewn across the floor, and open emptiness with most of my wall-hanging pictures in storage bins in North Carolina.

There's a shopping bag in front of my closet, overflowing with old clothes, that's bound for Goodwill (at some point in the next few weeks), two bookshelves half-full of books that I will take with me, books in piles all over the floor that I will need to place in storage, empty cardboard boxes that I will use to pack my things into, six home-brews sitting in a cardboard box with stickers that say "David" across the top of them, to designate that they are from my professor's batch and not mine, and my suitcase, still full from this past Thanksgiving weekend.
My bed, I made sure, is completely clear of clutter.


Which is why, instead of tackling the mess, I am now falling into bed!
Mmhmm; nice clean sheets after a hot shower and a glass of sweet orange juice. What more could a girl ask for at 7:30pm after a long day?

I'll start packing tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anne said...

The long silence is all beginning to make sense...not only were you busy with work and school, but there was a BOY involved! :o) How exciting!!

We're due in June, dr. says June 2. Spare a prayer for us, if you get a chance?!