Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thanksgiving Weekend Means...

...I have some time to blog!!





This past Sunday, my entire class (with the exception of two members) met for a potluck Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone brought a dish or a drink, and we gathered for a noisy night of laughter and conversation about everything other than physical therapy, while the football game blasted in the background. There was everything from the traditional turkey and cranberry sauce to butternut squash soup, baked ziti, and Irish soda bread. Surprisingly, there were not many leftovers! It was a fun evening--the video camera was going, and there was much creative brainstorming about our upcoming "skit night" on December 7th, where we all get together with the faculty to make humorous commentary on the past few years.
In some ways, it's super-exciting to be almost finished, but at the same time, it's going to be sad to leave all my classmates, with whom I've spent so much time and shared so many trials these past 2 and 1/2 years.
Everyone agrees that leaving this Christmas break is going to be a bittersweet experience. Our class has become very close; although there are close friends and less-close friends, there are no real cliques among us. Graduation in May promises to be an emotional reunion and farewell for all of us.

On another note, I dragged myself out of bed at the crack of dawn yesterday morning to bring my car in for a "trip-check." Thankfully, everything is in good working order--I have no problem paying $40 for peace of mind while driving my 103,000+ mileage car at night by myself! By 8:45 last night, I was on the road to Washington, D.C. for a weekend of fun with friends, both old and new!

Perhaps it is because this year I am almost finished with all of my coursework, but I've noticed that I'm really able to tune in and really possess a profound sense of gratitude this Thanksgiving. Yesterday I was writing my personal message for our class yearbook, and I was overwhelmed to the point of tears at how many people I owe thanks to, for helping me reach this point (the end!) in my program.

[note: being overwhelmed to the point of tears--even when they are tears of gratitude--is not generally recommended when sitting in the middle of a class discussion about marketing principles for physical therapy!]

But honestly, that list alone is gigantic. Then there's the list of circumstances and people that I'm grateful to God for placing in my life, even if they are not directly involved in where I am in my educational process. Friends that I have met, friends that I have kept, places I have been fortunate enough to live in, experiences I have been fortunate to have, accidents and injuries I have been preserved from, tragedies I have escaped.... I am probably not even aware of half of the blessings I've received.

Although I'm not able to be with family this year, there are other blessings afoot. As Nutmeg assures, there will be plenty of stories to exchange after this weekend!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

And if you're reading this, then you're probably one of my blessings. So, ...

Thank you.

No comments: