Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Fall Shedding

Doodle assures me that I'm not crazy.

That yes, it is possible to have thoroughly swept the floor three times today, yet still acquire a huge pile of hair the fourth time.

We have a dog and a cat.
Both black.

So actually, I shouldn't say I know for sure who to blame more. But the hairs that I gather up into the dustpan are long, and a bit bristly. And whenever the dog shakes, I see little tufts of these long hairs on the wood floor, in a circle around him. And whenever the dog lies down, I can tell where he's been by the scattered black hairs left behind.
In all fairness, the cat is also black. And he goes everywhere in the house. And I find black hair everywhere--even where the dog hasn't been.

However, I told Doodle this evening, "The next dog we get should be a Labradoodle, or even just a Poodle."

His suggestion: "Those Mexican hairless dogs are becoming wildly popular."

"Um, no, thank you," I replied. "I don't want an ugly dog; just one that doesn't shed." (Apologies to anyone who owns a Mexican hairless dog or thinks they are good-looking animals. Personally, I think they look naked.)

Then I turned to the dog. "I love you, Caomhan, but you just shed too much. Do you want to learn a new trick? Maybe how to collect all your fur-droppings into a neat pile for me to sweep up?"

Doodle laughed. Then he taught me something I didn't know before. Dogs shed extra in the spring and the fall. Isn't that amazing? Even domesticated dogs. It's a seasonal change of coats. So maybe this craziness is only temporary.

Like the loving husband he is, Doodle proceeded to take the dog out back tonight and brush him with the Furminator.

I stayed inside, excited about another revelation: Fall is here!!

No comments: