Thursday, September 09, 2010

Time for a Recipe

This is not my own.

Oh, no.

I am nowhere NEAR that level of domestic woman.

But it is a favorite in our house, so I thought I'd share. We usually have it with scrambled eggs mixed with some kind of meat, smoothies, and coffee (or tea, if you're my husband). Basically, it's our special-occasion substitute for toast!

And the season is upon us!


Apple Oven Pancake
From Williams-Sonoma “Essentials of Breakfast & Brunch”

My own 2 cents added in italics, from many early-morning learning experiences!!

Ingredients:
4 T unsalted butter, separated into 2 T and 2 T
4 c diced peeled tart apples such as Granny Smith (about 3 large apples)
2 T firmly packed light brown sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 t ground cinnamon (I just sprinkle til it looks like a nice color!)
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 c whole milk (I only ever have 2% on hand; it works fine)
1 c all-purpose flour
1 t vanilla extract
1/8 t salt (I think you can officially call this a “pinch,” which is how I add it—who wants to measure out 1/8 teaspoon of salt in the morning??)
Confectioner’s sugar for dusting

Directions:
Position a rack in the lower third of the oven, and preheat to 425∞F.

In a large frying pan over med-high heat, melt 2 T of the butter. Add the apples and cook, turning as needed, just until tender, 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with the brown sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon and stir to combine. Remove from heat.

(While the apples are cooking) Place a large baking dish (9x13 or 12inch diameter) in the oven to heat for 5 minutes (and set a timer!!). Remove the dish from the oven, add the remaining 2 T of butter, and (keeping in mind that it’s hot and you STILL need a pot holder) tilt the dish to coat the bottom and sides with the butter.

Spoon the apples over the bottom of the dish in an even layer.

In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, vanilla, and salt until blended. (Usually I do this first, after I dice but before I cook the apples.) Carefully pour the batter over the hot fruit.

(Keep in mind that the baking dish is STILL hot, and you STILL need a pot holder to put it into the oven!)
Bake until puffed and golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven. Using a fine-mesh sieve, dust the top with confectioner’s sugar. Serve at once (with real maple syrup!).

No comments: