Thursday, October 28, 2004

Cereal with soy milk

Much has happened.

Primarily, I had a curious "meet the parents" experience last Sunday. I say curious because it might have been classified as the most encouraging "meet the parents" experience I've had yet. This is saying a lot, since I've never had a bad experience in this regard. In fact, every time I've had the opportunity to make the acquaintence of a significant other's family, I've looked forward to it, and have subsequently stored it in my treasury of pleasant memories. So the "curious" part is this: This Is Not A Significant Other. I capitalize for emphasis, and in order to forgo repetition, especially for all those friends and family members who might still be unconvinced. Contact me personally if you need to hear the specific reasons why not; I've come up with several reasons. ...
So hopes are high that the overly-positive encounter with "the parents" is merely a cultural norm. Or if not, at least it is merely an indication of over-enthusiastic parents in the presence of a "nice girl." I probably won't know for a while if there is an essential misunderstanding between my friend-who-is-not-a-significant-other and myself--because I'll never ask. And given his low average rate of vocal utterances--partly due to shyness, partly just who he is--it'll be a while before he arrives at that topic.
Funny how what might have been the best experience I could have hoped for, turned out to be a source of analytical agony, slightly abated by Mom's wisdom, "Don't worry about something that hasn't happened yet."

Next thing on my mind these days is the Maria Goretti Society, which Sharon and I are to lead this year. It's a group dedicated to the spiritual formation of girls, from the Confirmation class -age up through high school. Our first meeting is next Wednesday, so we've been trying to get organized. Basically, neither of us know what we are doing. We only know it should be prayer-centered, and that it has to be put in God's hands. Because we don't know what we're doing, especially with this age group. Funny, since we used to be high school girls--together!--and a saintly woman somehow related to us in order to provide spiritual formation.
"How did she do it?" we wondered out loud about a month and a half ago, both agreeing that either of us in her position would have gotten highly annoyed. We decided that we shared the mentality that junior high and high school girls were not our preferred bracket.
And then we accepted the leadership of the Maria Goretti Society. Go figure.
But as St. Paul says: in our weakness He is strong.

And finally, this program that I'm in tends to have exams pretty often. So studying for those is an underlying theme of the soundtrack of my life.

By the way, James Taylor is great background for most New England autumn drives.

I figured out that in order to regularly enjoy my cereal and my lattes, I have to keep 2 cartons of Soy milk in my refrigerator. Problem is that my refrigerator in this bedroom is the size of a cracker box. So I don't eat so much cereal; after all, priorities define coffee as ruling way high over cereal. As a result, I'm starting to build up quite a collection of different kinds and flavors of breakfast cereal. It's good. Someday, when I'm out of espresso, I'll have a bowl of cereal. It's great comfort food. Especially with soy milk. But I digress. The point is, I need a bigger refrigerator.

(p.s. Mom, don't send any more cold cereal...)

No comments: