Wednesday, October 06, 2004

In my loaded up arms

The real story here was that I found rambutan in the produce section of the store today. That and pomegranate juice (I was reading today that it contains lots and lots and lots of anti-oxidants, so I picked some up). These were my two special finds. And both prompted discussion at the register. The bagger-lady wanted to know whether pomegranate juice should be drunk straight--to which I replied that I think it's better if it's a little bit diluted. But awhen it came to the rambutan, everyone was involved--the cashier, the bagger, the woman behind me, the man behind her,.... So I gave General Instructions on how to eat rambutan, then how it tastes, then where it comes from, then why I know that, and finally where I found it this evening. (It's a FRUIT. So it'll be next to the other FRUIT. It's UNUSUAL. So it'll be next to the UNUSUALS. Look for the starfruit and the papaya: UNUSUAL FRUIT.)
I had to dig through my groceries when I got home, to find where the bagger-lady hid it all. I was so excited to try one! The first little guy I opened was bad--brown gunk instead of white juicy sponginess. But the next two were good....

Good? Amazing. Brought me back to days of loitering on the stone balcony off of the overcrowded classroom in Alaminos; made me want to hail a tricycle and ride past the hayfields in Dampay.

I gotta save a few for Sharon....

No comments: