Friday, October 15, 2004

Critical thinking and BIG words

One aspect of my tutorial class in graduate school that didn't happen in undergraduate school is the peer evaluation.
Each session we have, we verbally evaluate a member of the group. Since there are only 5 students per tutorial, and we meet twice a week, we evaluate each other several times throughout the semester. In our group, we made it a general rule that we each have to make one complimentary statement and one constructive statement, and then beyond that as needed. The person being evaluated also has to verbalize a self-evaluation. I actually look forward to the days when I get evaluated--it's good to get continuous feedback, plus it helps all of us find ways to challenge one another.
It was funny today, though, when one of my classmates was trying to come up with a constructive criticism for me. "I guess, maybe you could try to put things into your own words on your hand-outs," he suggested.
I laughed. Then I apologized. Then he looked at me, incredulous, and interpretted my face: "These are your own words. Aren't they. Oh. Ok. ...wow." (he proceeded to re-read my entire handout while the rest of the group did their evaluations.)

Over the next few evaluations, an encouraging discussion developed that made me realize the difference between an Exercise Science major in a PT program and a Liberal Arts major in a PT program. There are advantages! I think I needed that lift. Truly, the comments that were made can only be credited to the intellectual formation I received at TAC. "Critical thinker," excellent questions," "makes me re-examine my research with her points," as well as the old mantra from Don Rags, "try to speak up when you do understand, not just when you don't," etc.

But my first classmate's comment reminded me of an experience I had when I was at the community college last year, preparing for grad school. I was required to take a Psych elective, so I chose Child Development. As part of the course, I had to write a research paper. For the amount of work I put into it, I was relatively pleased with the outcome. When I got it back, I flipped through to read the red markings. On one page, in the margin, was scrawled, "use your own words." The word in my paper that was circled in red pen next to the comment was "posit." I was speaking about a child development theorist, and explaining what his principles were for how children learn. "He posits...etc." Not only was I shocked at the mark for what it actually said, but I was also indignant at the implication that I would plagiarize! Talk about a test of humility. I think I must have failed. My ego is generally too selfish to allow for grace in moments such as these. I approached my teacher, and explained as politely as I could muster that I was not a childcare provider, taking her class in order to get certification to run a daycare. I had a prior degree, and in the philosophical setting where my intellect was trained, "posit" was no less common than "challenge" as a descriptive verb. "It's my word; it's been one of my words for the past 6 years!"
Her response was, "Well, I didn't know what it meant. I had to look it up."
Well, that's hardly my fault now, is it.

So now I've been officially named "Vocabulary" in my tutorial. Compared to most of my friends, I don't think my vocabulary is that impressive, actually. But I'll take the compliment.

Meanwhile, I'll work on using short words for my hand-outs!

No comments: