Wednesday, October 13, 2004

The difference between John Kerry and me

John Kerry, despite what he claims about Faith and Works, obviously has a difficult time incorporating his "Catholic" Faith into his everyday life of political action. According to him, it is not paradoxical to have an interior spiritual life, expression of which displays oppositely when brought to the exterior political and social life. He may very well understand the "go to your room and pray to your Father in private" part of things, but he's leaving out, "go out to all nations...baptizing in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." Whatever you do, don't impose your Faith on others--or let it influence anything you do that might affect others. (p.s., the immorality of abortion is not, as he refers to it, an "article of Faith;" you don't need Faith to arrive at the conclusion that the principle of human life is something sacred and worthy of protection.)

Anyway, the contrast I wanted to make is this: my exam on Friday is what I should really be worried about. But I've been letting my Faith-based activities come first this week. Not only come first, but get in the way of what I'm primarily called to do at this point. I didn't study last night because I spent the evening in NYC with a friend, watching the film Therese. I didn't study tonight because I went to a special Mass in honor of the 87th anniversary of Our Lady of Fatima's last apparition. Tomorrow is Theology on Tap, which I'd hate to miss.... Friday will soon be here, and I will pray to my guradian angel that he gives me a little extra help on this one.

I think I need to re-group and re-assess my priorities list here pretty soon.

That might be a healthy exercise for Senator Kerry at this point, as well.

No comments: