Monday, June 06, 2005

Digits

This afternoon, while Kris was doing some grocery shopping, I did some PROM (passive range of motion) exercises with Andrew on his bed. At one point, he wanted to "take a break" and "stand up."
When Andrew "stands up," that means he has his feet on the surface while I hold the rest of his [dead] weight upright under his arms. This time, the surface was his bed, because he wanted to "stand" looking at the framed Elton John poster right next to it. The poster has Elton John in the middle, and pictures of albums containing all of his greatest hits all around the border. ...In other words, a lot to look at! I kept encouraging him to "push up with your feet" in order to give my arms a little help (not to mention therapeutic exercise for him!) But he was so engrossed by all of it, he couldn't concentrate enough to help out much. Finally, I made a bargain that if we did a few more stretches, he could "stand up" again.

As we continued the PROM, 5 year-old Ellen walked in. Usually I would describe this girl as 5-going-on-15, but every once in a while, I'm reminded of her little-ness.
She gazed up at the poster.
"That's Elton John," she told me.
"Yes, I know. Andrew and I were just inspecting it."
"Is that his phone number?" she asked me.
"Whaaa..? Where are you looking, honey?"
"That! On the poster! Is that his phone number: one-nine-seven-zero-two..."

I looked up to see "Greatest Hits 1970-2002"

No comments: