Friday, June 17, 2005

Strong Coffee

"Do you think you know how to make coffee in this? I have to take care of a few things."
Fr. Check was referring to the industrial-sized coffee maker in the rectory's pantry at 8:45am.

My over-enthusiastic reply: "YES!"

I had babysat until 2am, gotten home at 2:30am, and gone to sleep at 3:30am. Then I had woken up at 6am, put my bike rack and bike on my car by 7am, driven to the auto shop by 7:30am, and rode my bike to 8am Mass.
After a rigorous examination of conscience and Confession, I was ready for some coffee!

"I hope he doesn't mind..." I thought as I scooped and scooped and scooped the blessed black grounds into the filter.

I had nothing to fear.

"Is that coffee ready yet?" Fr. Check returned after a while.

"Yes, here it is," I said, preparing to pour him a cup.

"I hope you made it strong. Is it strong?" He pulled out the basket and inspected the contents of the filter. "Yeah, that's pretty good," he concluded. "We like our coffee strong at this rectory."

Whew! Thank goodness, because that coffee almost definitely saved my life today.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Haha! That reminds me of one time sophomore year, it might have been a finals time or maybe a Sem Break or maybe Don Rags or something, but the coffee shop was being very poorly attended (something that NEVER happened when I was around!) and Rachel and I decided that coffee was definitely needed. (I just realized that this is going to be very long. Anyway.) I had no clue about the measurements/ratios involved. Neither did Rachel. We guessed. And argued a bit. And guessed some more. Finally settling on: "This is a HUGE coffee pot. Therefore, we need a crapload of coffee. Like, a pound. At LEAST." Five minutes after we pressed "Start" Rachel poked me: "Do you think, um, that it's supPOSed to be coming out...in..CLUMPS?!"

:)