Wednesday, June 22, 2005

me??

This evening I tried to get Tony interested in the NYC Marathon idea. He laughed and told me that Fr. C. had already warned him about me trying to talk people into training with me. "I'm a sprinter," he said. And then later, "I only like running after a soccer ball." I guess that won't work.

Then the tables turned.
It started out with innocent questions.
Tony: "Do you do any other sports besides running?"
Me: "No."

Then it turned to flattery.
Tony: "I hear you're very athletic."
Me: "Hah! Whoever told you that is either delusional, or greatly exaggerating."
Belita: "What do you mean? You're amazing in Knock-Out."
Me: "What??"
Belita: "Weren't you always winning when we played Knock-Out?"
Me: "No, my friend. I was the designated loser. I could run fine, back and forth; the problem was getting the ball through the hoop."

Later, the questions were more pointed.
Tony: "What is your class schedule next year."
Me: "Ahh... um..."
Tony: "Don't worry, I'm not trying to recruit you."

Finally, the whole truth.
Tony: "Ok, I am trying to recruit you. I want you to teach Phys.Ed."
Me: "What??!! umm...Why don't you teach Phys.Ed?"
Tony: "Well, I am--to the boys. I need someone to do Phys.Ed. for the girls."
Me: "Tony. I have not only school, but also a GA position, a part-time job, and the Maria Goretti Society."
Tony: "Wow. Ok..."

But, hey. I'm already getting a few ideas that are prompting second thoughts...

There's always something to pray about!

2 comments:

nutmeg said...

Well, I guess if being a physical therapist doesn't work out... (heavy sarcasm) You'd be a great phys ed teacher, no doubt, but an awesome PT, esp with kids!!

Sephora said...

I think I'm actually going to pass on this stunning opportunity; I told Tony that the kids should be taught ballroom dancing, and he said he's already planning on teaching them that... So my ideas are used up!