Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Need Digital

I lost my camera. It was in my booth at the April wedding I went to, next to my purse. My purse was there at the end of the night, but not my camera. I asked a few of the staff members who were cleaning up. Nope, I finally lost my camera. My trusty, black Canon that I had become so used to, so adept at taking good pictures on.

I was the picture-taker in my class this past year. Then they heard I lost my weapon at the "California wedding" (my classmates keep track of all my weddings by which state I travel to). My 4-foot roommate, Jess, gets up on a table, "Ok, everyone, bring in $2 tomorrow, and we'll buy her another camera."

Unfortunately, it didn't happen.

So I bought a disposable one for the "Colorado wedding" trip. What a pain. I knew the pictures wouldn't be great. So I didn't take a lot. Still, I wanted to see what I DID get!

11:35am:
You do one-hour developing?
Yes.
Do you do pictures on CD, too?
Not one hour.
How much longer will it take?
3 to 4 days.
3 to 4 DAYS?
Yes.
Ummm, thanks anyway. I'll take this somewhere else.

12:57pm
I need one-hour developing, and pictures on CD, too.
No problem. Fill this out. Come back at 2pm.
They'll be all ready at 2pm?
Yes.
Excellent.

2:04pm
My pictures..."G"...I dropped them off at one...
Was it the little guy who told you they'd be done?
Yes.
Sorry. He didn't tell you the machine was broken. We're trying to fix it. We dunno how long it's going to take.
Did you already pull the camera apart?
Yes. It went through the first machine, but not the second one. The second one is broken.
When should I come back?
We're just going to call everybody.
You'll call me?
Yes.
Will it be before 5, do you think?
It shouldn't take more than 2 hours.
Ok.

5:10pm
I'm here to see if my pictures are ready.
Yes, here they are. I'll give you a discount--I'll only charge you for the pictures.
I thought someone was going to call me.
Yes, we would call you when it's finished.
You mean, they're not finished?
The machine was not finished being fixed.
So, ...are my pictures ok?
Yes, but he only got finished with the machine a few minutes ago.
???

(I had given them my cell phone number, and thought it was clear that I was interested in when my pictures would be ready, not when the machine would be fully repaired.)

Moral of the Story: I need a digital camera.

No comments: