Monday, September 27, 2004

Another Chance

I once vowed never to ignore a person I recognize, even if I don't think they remember who I am. The immediate result of this decision was a dating relationship toward the end of high school.

Maybe now I should extend this vow, never to pass up the opportunity to meet someone who crosses my path more than once.

I should have met one particular person about a year ago. Meaning, I've known who he is for at least one year; always in the same section of the church at daily Mass, always staying for the rosary afterwards. It always struck me how young he was compared to the other daily goers--around my age, I guessed. But with a large frame and considerable height: my shy side always won out over my friendly side.
All I knew was his name; we had been formally introduced on one occasion, and that was all.
I remember thinking one day, as I walked past his pew on my way out of the church, "Next time I see him, I'm going to talk to him." I saw him once more after that, but didn't get the chance....

That was my last chance, I realized. Soon afterward, I left the state to make my way back East for grad school. I said a small prayer for him, and wondered if he'd ever wonder why I wasn't at daily Mass anymore.

God continually offers us more chances. That's the beauty of His infinite mercy--that He continues to forgive us, no matter how many times we fail. But besides giving us more chances to love Him, He sometimes extends extra gifts of opportunity. Some people get to survive incredible disasters or injuries, receiving what they consider to be "another chance" in life. Some people find the opportunity for human reconciliation, and rejoice in "another chance" for a relationship.

I got another chance today. In the hallway at my university, 1800 miles from home, our paths crossed again. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. He walked right past me! I continued walking for about 7 seconds, then turned around and followed him. I was not going to let this chance go to waste. There was no shyness to overcome; there was no thought of self-respect. Curiosity and incredulousness were my momentum.

"Excuse me, is your name ---?" ...

So I'll see him early tomorrow morning at daily Mass. And then we'll pray the rosary together afterwards.
The only explanation for this is some sort of Divine intervention. I am supposed to meet this person--and probably should have earlier this year. But since I didn't, since I wasted all my opportunities, God presented me with another chance. (hit me upside the head with it, actually!)

I wonder what the significance is? I wonder if this is the beginning of a friendship which will be a source of support for me throughout my time here? Or am I to be a source of support for him? Or both? Or are there people I know that he needs to meet in order to discover his vocation? Or vice versa? Or maybe this is merely a wake-up call to me: pay attention to people around you and extend yourself the first time it occurs to you!

It will be interesting to see....

2 comments:

Erin said...

The world is going insane...as I said. Go to dogsknot. Good luck. Tell Shar (and Frank) I say hola.

Sephora said...

Tell me about it.... My next question is, "what's the point of all this?"