Thursday, September 16, 2004

Wee hours

It being very difficult to convince my brain to think after 11pm, I have adopted an earlier bedtime during the school week. I have subsequently had to adopt the waking time of about 4am. This can be a gruesome schedule to maintain in the dark hours of early autumn mornings in New England. I foresee a special challenge right before or after a weekend--I don't generally plan to go to bed early on Fridays OR Sundays.

This morning, I heard my extremely atonal alarm go off at around 4:15. (Yes, Mrs. Gustin, I do maintain that a solitary pitch can be atonal!) My plan had been to get up early and read some material for class. As I laid there in bed with my hand holding down the snooze button, staring at the bright blue numbers, I wracked my brain for the reason why the first number was "4." I had completely forgotten my newly-adopted schedule, the fact that I had reading to do, and the concept that I really had allowed myself enough rest.
"What the heck do I possibly need to do that warrants getting up at this hour?" I distinctly remember thinking.
Nothing coming to mind, I moved the alarm time by two hours.

A few minutes later, I heard another "chime." This time, although I repeatedly slammed my hand down over the snooze button, it wouldn't stop. Then I realized--it was my phone alarm! I am not in the habit of cursing, which is beneficial in these types of circumstances. The mind isn't completely coherent, and habitual verbiage tends to take over. Mine was a mild form of sleepy frustration and again, bewilderment at what could possibly be so urgent that I should get out of bed....

So much for discipline. So much for going beyond "keeping up" with my classes.

Thank God for weekends!

No comments: