Sunday, September 26, 2004

Thinking Like a Therapist?

Fr. C, as mentioned in previous entries, offers Mass every weekday at the high school across the street from my University.
Saturday, I noticed that Roman calendar had an optional Mass in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Since I knew of a noon Mass where I attend on Sundays, I made the trip down. Low and behold, Fr. C was the celebrant!
This morning, I went to the early Mass at the same church, and there was Fr. C again!
After Mass, he asked me, "Are you getting sick of seeing me everyday?"
I assured him I wasn't, and asked what hand he wrote with.
Apparently he wasn't expecting that question, because he hesitated before answering, "my right."
me: "What hand do you throw with?"
Fr. C: "My right."
me: "Huh. I've seen you a lot recently, and I've noticed that you seem to use your left side more than most right-dominant people generally would, but then I see you doing things with your right hand, too, ...."
I was shocked by what he told me next:
"Maybe because I had surgery on my right knee--what was that, 17 years ago now. And I had to adjust for a while and shift a lot of things to my left side. My right knee is still much weaker than my left...". (what had confused me most was how he always genuflects on his left)
I was amazed; our professors told us that we'd start noticing how people moved, and start guessing as to reasons for it. But I didn't think we knew enough yet. Here I am, thinking I'm confused about Fr. C only because I don't know very much about gait analysis.... It's really neat to be able to receive confirmation like that. Yes, this PT stuff can be for me.
Fr. C: So, is this bad in any way?
me: Oh, no! I'd only want to know if I were going to treat you.
How awesome that someday soon I'll actually be able to treat people....

No comments: