Monday, May 09, 2005

MGS Retreat a Success

The beautiful convent retreat house in Darien, CT, housed between 11 and 13 girls this past weekend. Plus 4 adults, 2 of whom spent the night--Angela and me. It went so well, it was unbelievable. Only the Holy Spirit could have run that smooth of a retreat.
Of course, the girls themselves are such good girls. Sharon and I both thought we would more than dislike leading a group of junior high to high school girls. But they're great.
Dr. Alice von Hildebrand's talk was definitely a highlight: The Privelege of Being a Woman. I've heard her before, but this was different. This was in a little room, with 13 girls scattered around her, either in chairs or on the floor, as she sat with her hands folded in her lap, without a microphone, sending a rhythmic trickling of wisdom forth from her lips.
The Missionaries of Charity who came in the afternoon were so beautiful. Their life is so amazing in its simplicity and poverty. A friend of mine in the seminary has mentioned the MC's to me time and again as something I should "look at;" I don't know what delusions he has of my capabilities to accept that kind of call to holiness. Wow. They completely blow my mind.
And then our own pastor, Father Paul Check, the best priest I've ever known, came Saturday evening to give a talk, Benediction, and confessions. His comfort and encouragement are things I don't deserve, but soak up like a child seeks her father's embrace.

"...I'm very proud of you," he says. "This is exactly what I had in mind when I asked you and Sharon to take this group. You're doing well. Do not let your heart be troubled. Be at peace. The confessions these girls made this evening were very good..."

I wish I could be at peace, Father. I don't know what is wrong. I wish I knew so I could straighten it out.

"...Go home. Rest. Come back in two weeks. See if you feel better. You have had a lot on your mind these past months. Go home to your family..."

Can he read my mind? Father, school is over. I should already be at peace.

"...It takes a little time to wind down. You've been tense and anxious for a while now; I've noticed. When you come back, we can dig that deep and see what it is. But for now, go home and rest. You've done a beautiful job with this retreat. Remember, you're not on retreat; you're giving the retreat..."

So I'm going home. Tomorrow. After Father Check's morning Mass at St. John's, Sharon will bring me to the airport. And I will feast my eyes on the huge, clear, blue sky and drink in the de-oxygenated air and rejoice in the friends I will see, both from home and elsewhere, coming together for Alissa's wedding.

No comments: