Sunday, May 22, 2005

The week of Celebration, Part I

It started out Monday evening, when my wonderful (big) little brother drove me up to Erin's (roommater, not sister) apartment in Denver. It was late, we went to bed almost immediately, and she had to work Tuesday morning. But she told me to be ready with my book after 12 noon, because she wanted to go study at a coffee shop. Yay!
She picked me up and prefaced our afternoon with, "I think this might be the coffee shop you were telling me about...it's the only one that I know of in the Cherry Creek area. You can let me know..."
Yes, yes it was. Two years ago, the man I was dating drove by it with me and told me all his plans about how he was going to improve business there when he closed on it in a few weeks. I remember him visiting me one weekend and talking to my boss at the awesomest coffee shop ever, in order to get some advice. My very successful boss, Jeff, echoed my reservations when I expressed doubt about this business venture: "Yeah, I'm not sure he's fully aware of what he's getting into..." However, Jeff had more hope than I: "...but then again, neither did I!" I never knew what happened, though. We separated soon after that drive-by, and he has been the only person before or since that I have blocked email from. Needless to say, we haven't kept in touch!
So here we are, early Tuesday afternoon, ordering our lunch salad and iced chai tea, and I look around for any sign to tell me whether success has been his (or someone else's). Not knowing what exactly to look for, I finally ask the tall skinny barista with the peasant shirt: "Excuse me, who is the owner of this place?"
Barista: "[First name of ex-boyfriend]"
Myself: "What's his last name?"
Barista: "[Last name of ex-boyfriend]. Why do you ask?"
Myself: "Oh, you know. I haven't been here in a while..."
Erin (roommate, not sister) eyes me warily with a slight smirk. "We'll be out front," she tells the girl.

A flood of questions rush through my mind as we sit there.
Does he ever come by to check up on the place?
Is he even in the country?
Has he exchanged his black beret for a green one yet?
Does he still drive the silver Passat?
Will my sunglasses disguise me?

Erin starts laughing: "Calm down! Stop looking over your shoulder every 5 minutes. What does he look like again? ...ok, I've never seen anyone of that description here. Although I've only ever come here in the evening,.... Hey, relax. A little drama might be good for you. Did you hear me? Hello! Turn around and read your book!"
The most restless reading session of Katherine Lavransdatter I've experienced yet!

Not to be anti-climactic or anything, he never showed up. Later, while Erin was using the restroom, I recognized some of the beautiful photos he took in Afghanistan hanging on the wall. Unfortunately, my favorite photo of him standing in a hot spring in Greenland wasn't there. But then I saw the jar with the sign: "Help raise $2000 for Leukemia: [Ex-boyfriend's first name] getting ready for Leukemia triathlon" Yep. Definitely him. Must be in town. Can we go now?

And so began my week...

3 comments:

Erin said...

HAAAA-hahaha, he was such a nerd, too! tell him I said hi if you DO run into him!!!

Hem. That was me, being the supportive and understanding little sister.
:)

Sephora said...

Yeah, thanks, hon. I don't think he had any family fans, except maybe your optimistic husband (fiance at the time...)

Erin said...

No, no, no, that was just "then-fiance" trying to ingratiate himself, while not ticking off a very large potential bro-in-law. My darling husband is not the most subtle of diplomats.