Sunday, May 22, 2005

The week of Celebration, Part III

I think it's quite charming how, whenever a friend gets married, they are so happy, they think everyone else should get married, too. It's the same with those who answer the call to the priesthood or religious life. It is the fulfillment of their vocation--the way in which God is calling them to give their heartscompletely in love. I've had numerous experiences with friends who, once they are engaged, set about trying to find ways to "fix me up" with various people. After all, they're so happy, and so they should help me find the same happiness. I also have a friend in the seminary; he loves it so much, all his letters and enclosures are encouragements for me to look into different orders of the religious life.
I think it's a wonderful expression of love to one's friends that you want to see them as happy as yourself. After all, being single is not a vocation, unless it's the consecrated single life. Which I have not taken vows for. So let's all help this poor girl find her vocation. Oooh! There's this guy....
Sometimes I feel like the "set-ups" that come to people's minds contain no regard for personality or compatibility. It's the "warm body" technique. He's single; you're single; there you go!
I have large suspicions when names are mentioned because "he's Catholic." Hmmm. I went to college with a whole lot of Catholics, and I can tell you, although essential, there's more than that involved. In fact, I told Alissa this weekend about one of Andy's friends who rode in my car at one point: "[He]'s a really nice guy, but GOSH! He prays the rosary WAY too slow!"
Then there's my loving sister: "I think [So-and-So] would make a great addition to our family. What do you think about him?" Uh-huh. How about this: it doesn't work that way.
I remember something our dear former chaplain, Fr. Bart, once said: "Every loving relationship is a miracle." It's true; everyone is so different. How do people ever live with one another and grow in love for each other their entire lives, except by grace?
There is the possibility of human instrumentation, of course. These people met through mutual friends. This person introduced me to that one. But the course of events is then in the hands of Providence.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Good heavens, you make me sound like we're in the Mafia or something. "Family". >snort< Who on earth could I have said THAT abo- Oh. Him. Right. Sorry 'bout that. But I am NOT in the Mafia!!!!

Anonymous said...

singlemultilingualcatholicstuds.com...if you can't find you man there you'll never find him.

Sephora said...

Portia, dearest, I understood what you meant by "family;" perfectly legit that he will have to fit in somehow. But my point is that, that's not the primary criterion!
Anon, thanks for the attempt at assistance, but I refuse to advertise or look for ads in order to stumble upon what I just discussed to be the miracle of love based on the guidance of Providence! plus,...my "year of discernment" continues...